Monday, May 08, 2006

 

An Introduction to Dadmanly's Profiles

If I have to settle on any one accomplishment, one work that I want to be remembered for as a MILBLOGGER, it would be my Profiles. More on that in a moment.

Several weeks ago, I posted an article about Why I MILBLOG. I explained that MILBLOGGERS like Greyhawk, Citizen Smash, and Blackfive had an excellent opportunity to comment on all things military from their blogs. Most importantly, their perspectives, insights and commentary stood in sharp contrast to what passes for "Journalism" on the part of mainstream (news) media (MSM). They spoke of "reality on the ground," and in preparing for deployment. Before I filed my first post, I wanted in some way to contribute to this insight and commentary. So I started to Blog.

I am proud to say I am one a foot soldier in the Army of Davids, emphasis on the “David” and being part of an “Army.” I made my share of mistakes until I learned (with some embarrassment) the etiquette of linking. I realized after a few fevered Blog-days that there will be need for only one Glenn Reynolds (and I wasn’t him). Nevertheless, a MILBLOG can perform a valuable service.

In my view, the most important function of the MILBLOG is to provide information. On-the-ground reporting, and the perspective of those closest to and part of the action. Relatively few soldiers conduct direct combat operations, although more and more are subjected to potential conflict and violence. Still, everything that happens can potentially be a part of history. In many ways, we have only scratched the surface on capturing what it means to be a soldier, sailor, airman, marine.

Somewhere along the way, early on in Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF), I realized that I would have few opportunities to do the “shock and awe,” real-time, heart pounding and heat of battle war correspondent kind of reporting. I could, however, pay attention to the many fine men and women around me in combat service support roles, serving their country with quiet honor, dedication, and a fair amount of good humor. Thus were Dadmanly ProfilesTM born.

Dadmanly Profiles in the Series:

The CO

The Motor Sergeant

The CSM

The NCOIC

The LT

Cooks and Contractors

Supply Sergeants

The Analysts

The Chaplain's Assistant

The First Sergeant

Vietnam Vets

My contribution is modest compared to the many fine MILBLOGGERS. But if it helps give those back home a sense of who are these many great Americans who served in Iraq, it will be a job well done, and I’ll be pleased to have taken it on.

What treasure we would have if members of earlier, “greatest” generations had had this technology and communications available? The Vietnam era soldiers. The men and women who fought WWII. The men in blue and grey who fought the Civil War. How much more we would understand wars, the sacrifices they impose, the moral lessons they teach, the humanity they confront. We were there at the inception, and it’s an awesome responsibility. I was honored to be a part of it.



Links: Basil's Blog, Jo's Cafe, Mudville Gazette

UPDATE: Linked recently by SGT Hook (actually CSM Hook), who suggests he'll be working on soem leadership profiles. Based on his other excellent posts, I'd recommend keeping an eye out over there!





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]