Friday, February 04, 2005

 

An Inauguration of Sorts

The elections were very gratifying, as was our camp, which was much better than we expected. Not only has the unit we're replacing had no casualties, but they haven't fired a single shot other than at the range or to test fire. We do travel about, but it's done with a lot of preparation and a lot of combat firepower (we're armed like a porcupine), so I guess the word "on the street" is don't mess with us unless you want to meet your Maker (quicker). Of course, some of the folks here don't share quite the same idea about Who that is...

The troops are doing well, as am I, and the first two weeks went by in a blur. I'm writing alot, but the hours have been long getting us set up.

There's a lot going on that I wish I could be a part of directly, but will pray for all the efforts (recovery groups, single activities, growing the church and its ministries, etc.) I've enjoyed reaching out to everyone, and have equally enjoyed everyone's support. I am very excited for Mrs. Dadmanly (and for me when I come back), I think we are approaching a time when God's movement in our lives and the revealing of His purposes becomes clear(er). Mrs. Dadmanly had this vision of her speaking before groups, and both of us involved together in some kind of group ministry ... A time of growth for both of us indeed.

I am not at all fearful or concerned, and I count that as the foremost of God's blessings during this time. I was very apprehensive that I would freeze up or become fearful in my reactions, but God is giving me a confidence and boldness (not reckless) that I believe is helping my soldiers cope too. (They look to see how we leaders react and take their cues from us.)

I know that He is waging a war across many fronts and that we are soldiers in that fight. I am so overjoyed that I believe our President is in this fight with us as well, some might say that's naive but I believe it. I read most of The Case for Democracy by Natan Sharansky, and clearly Paul Wolfowitz, Condi Rice, and the President have absorbed his thesis, that Fear societies are a grave threat to Free societies, and that if people are given the chance to breathe free they will not willingly submit again to oppression. We cannot put the nuclear genie back in the bottle, but perhaps we can work against those evil enough to view such weapons as a desired tool of terror.

I believe it is no accident that a Democracy founded on the premise of God given inalienable rights, a country considered the most Christian (and often mockingly described that way), should lead the world at this time, and offer Light in so many ways to so many, but be so unappreciated by the "wise." Never has the Word been so clear about the wise being made fools and the simple being lifted up.

I am rereading Lincoln; I encourage you to discover if you haven't previously, our most devoutly Christian President, who likewise led our nation at a time of great challenge and adversity ... Our President no doubt has been inspired by the man who said, "I am confident that the Almighty has His plans, and will work them out; and, whether we see it our not, they will be the best for us." (Thanks to friend Ethel for passing that along.)

Lincoln's second inaugural is immortal, about God and the struggle against evil (within and outside ourselves), Bush's second I think we be remembered nearly as long:

"We go forward with complete confidence ... not because we consider ourselves a chosen nation; God moves and chooses as He wills. We have confidence because freedom is the permanent hope of mankind, the hunger in dark places, the longing of the soul."
...and...
"History has an ebb and flow of justice, but history also has a visible direction, set by liberty and the Author of Liberty."
...and...
"Renewed in our strength -- tested, but not weary -- we are ready for the greatest achievements in the history of freedom."

And to end again with Lincoln, quoted by President Bush:
"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves; and, under the rule of a just God, cannot long retain it."

May you fully find your part in a life worth living, and if you seek His will for it, it will be worthy indeed.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]