Tuesday, July 10, 2007
The organization Vets for Freedom has issued the following call to action:
The next ten weeks will be absolutely crucial in determining the fate of the Iraq War. Over the summer, Democrats (and some Republicans) on Capitol Hill, pressured by radical anti-war activists, plan to introduce legislation to undermine the mission in Iraq, just as General Petraeus, and his counter-insurgency strategy, are showing real signs of progress.
Despite the great courage and success of our troops in
Amongst this political noise, in ten weeks General Petraeus will testify before Congress about the situation in
If you believe
And if you're not sure if you should get involved, check out what radical anti-war groups are planning. They go so far as to "express solidarity with the resistance movements in [
This week, VFF calls on us to, well, make some calls:
Week #1: Call 10 Senators
Below is a list of 9 Republican Senators who-this week-could end up wavering on their support for the mission in
1. General Petraeus deserves enough time to implement a winning counter-insurgency strategy in
2. Retreat means a failed state in
3. Decisions about
Here is the list of Republican senators to call:
10) Your Senator [Follow this link for a directory of all
* When you're done with the calls, just shoot a quick email to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know. We will compile the volume of calls and make sure our presence is heard. If you had any particularly interesting exchanges, we'd love to hear about it.
* Remember: 10 calls will take less than 30 minutes. Please do your duty for the country today!
Additional Vets for Freedom Information
1) Visit www.VetsforFreedom.org and check out the new website format. We have added the "Freedom Update" to the homepage, which lists daily the Top 5 articles (news and opinion) about the
2) If you are a veteran of
3) Spread the word! Tell your friends and family about Vets for Freedom and tell them to sign up at www.vetsforfreedom.org/volunteer.
When you call the senators, a few important things to remember:
­ Always be courteous. The person answering the phone is likely a young staffer.
­ If you are calling a Senator who represents your home state, say "I am from [City, State] and am a member of Vets for Freedom. I recently returned from
­ If you are calling a Senator who is not from your state, say "I am a veteran of the Iraq War [or insert relevant experience] who served with [insert unit] in [insert location] from [insert dates]. I am a member of Vets for Freedom and I'm calling to ask Senator [name] not to support a deadline for withdrawal from
­ In the future, we will be asking Vets for Freedom veterans to request personal meeting with Senators and Representative both in their home districts and on Capitol Hill, so make sure you get the relevant contact information from the person you're speaking with so you can follow up.
I get discouraged and sometime lose hope that true leaders among us can hold back the not so loyal Opposition. I can get pretty lazy, too, thinking that service in OIF III and three years of MILBLOGGING somehow was all I would ever have to do, to do my part.
But I think I have some calls to make this week. I can almost hear Papa Ray now: “Continue the mission.”
Links to this post:
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]