Thursday, July 26, 2007
Winners and Losers
Ralph Peters says what most in Washington and the media least want to hear, that we’re Winning in Iraq.
He cites several underreported developments, excerpted here:
- Al Qaeda lost the support of
- Our troops captured the senior Iraqi in the organization and killed the three al Turki brothers, major-league pinch-hitters al Qaeda sent into
- The Iraqi "head" of the terrorists was just a front, designed to give an impression that al Qaeda has Iraqis in its senior ranks.
- Al Qaeda has been pushed right across Anbar, from the once Wild West to the province's eastern fringes.
- Muqtada al-Sadr fled back to
- The Iraqi Police Tactical Support Unit in Nasiriyah came under attack by Mahdi Army elements, fought them off, then counter-attacked. The Mahdi Army force begged for negotiations.
Peters is clearly frustrated with the lack of support in
Even the Democrats yearning to become president admit, when pressed, that al Qaeda's a threat to
But let's be fair: Congressional Republicans, terrified of losing their power and glory and precious perks, haven't rushed to applaud our progress, either. They'll give up
Peters also comments on The New Republic and the Scott Thomas (Beauchamp) affair:
What were you, the American people, told about all this? Well, The New Republic published a pack of out-of-the-ballpark lies concocted by a scammer claiming to be a grunt in
And I thought the MILBLOGGERS were fired up over Beauchamp’s near certain fabrications.
MORE TNR/BEAUCHAMP STORY UPDATES:
Via Memeorandum, news of TNR’s statement from revealed author Scott Thomas Beauchamp, with special kudos to JD Johannes for getting his unit right down to company level. I don’t think it warrants any “apology” on my part, yes, this jerk is a soldier, but as stated previously, soldier or no, the stories he has told the TNR and their readers include a huge amount of apparent fabrication or willful deceit.
Some of the better commentary linked by Memeorandum. (No claim to objective sampling here):
Ace of Ace of Spades breaks the story that Scott Beauchamp is the likely fiancé of a TNR staffer, and TNR staff openly discuss “nepotism” as the basis for Beauchamp getting his pieces published. The TNR “leaker” of that bit of information has already been fired by TNR, according to Ace.
Much more to come here, I think. Bet on more shake-ups at the TNR, more dissembling, more attacking the fact checkers for fact checking, more sweeping the whole credibility and accuracy issues under a veneer of righteous indignation about Conservatives who “only support the troops who agree with them” BS.
Links to this post:
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]