Friday, July 13, 2007
Calling All Vets for July 17th
Maybe this Veteran-led Win the War effort will pick up enough steam to actually get some attention!
I blogged previously about Veterans For Freedom, and their ten week Call to Action.
They’re ready for Week 2 with a really big mission:
Last week, Vets for Freedom launched our "10 Weeks to Testimony" campaign and committed to leading the charge to support General Petraeus and stop anti-war radicals and politicians on Capitol Hill from undermining the mission in
Unfortunately-despite thousands of phone calls to Capitol Hill this week--even more Republican senators have bowed to political pressure and declared defeat, despite progress being shown by General Petraeus's new counter-insurgency strategy.
Next week, politicians in
This is a call to action. We are asking every Iraq and Afghanistan veteran who believes in supporting the mission--and defeating America's enemies--to converge on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC on Tuesday, July 17. It's time the fighters in this war tell their representatives--face to face-that now is no time to betray the mission.
What You Can Do This Week!
Week #2: Converge on Capitol Hill, July 17
We're not going to protest, wave signs, or scream slogans. We are going to make our voices heard, in a professional manner, in keeping with the finest traditions of our great country and military. I have no doubt you will want to join us.
But you say: "It's an entire Tuesday, and travel is expensive!" We share these legitimate concerns, but answer with this fundamental question: If not you, then who? Who else will tell Congress to give General Petraeus, his strategy, and our comrades time to complete the mission? It has come to this. It must be us.
But you also say: "It's such short notice, and I have to work." Again, legitimate concerns, but we have already received commitments from numerous veterans with full-time jobs who have said--no matter the notice--I'll be there. We need the same from you. Your country needs the same from you.
You might also say, "I'm Active Duty, I can't do this type of stuff." There is a common misconception that troops serving on active duty cannot participate in events like this. This is false. As long as you are 1) out of uniform; 2) not speaking on behalf of "the military"; and 3) not protesting, you are absolutely allowed to be involved. The same goes for National Guard and Reserve troops.
We hope to raise enough money--from the supporters of Vets for Freedom who cannot make it to
So, how do you get involved? Be bold. Take a stand. And join your fellow Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors, and Marines on Capitol Hill. Here's what you need to do:
If you are a veteran and are ready to take a stand and join us on Capitol Hill on July 17, please send an email to Adriel at email@example.com as soon as possible. The email should contain the following 6 points of information:
1. Name and basic information (phone number, email, and zip code)
2. Military background (OIF/OEF experience, unit, current status)
3. Home state (and any other states you have lived in)
4. Your most probable means of transportation to
5. A very brief biography (no more than one paragraph)
6. Any questions you might have
When Vets for Freedom receives your email, we will email you the following information as soon as possible:
· Time and place for initial link up in
· Driving directions, maps, and parking instructions
· Basic timeline/instructions for the day (assume day will finish between 5--6pm)
· Other preparation materials
When you arrive in
· Detailed itinerary (including your office visit schedule, media schedule, and event schedule to visit your member of Congress--everything will be done in groups)
· Capitol Hill map
· Vets for Freedom complementary polo shirt; breakfast and lunch provided
Supporters of Our Veterans
You may not be able to make it to
1) Donate. As we've already mentioned, every dollar donated in the next 4 days will be used to reimburse the travel costs of veterans who will be paying their own way to Capitol Hill.
2) Call your Senator. The response to our Week 1 "call to action" was incredible. Thank you. Thousands of calls were made, and we need to do this again. Reinforce our veterans on Capitol Hill by calling the 2 Senators from your home state on July 17 and telling them to support the troops-and the mission!
3) Forward this Email. Send this email to everyone you know. Post it on your blog. Print it out and hand it out to friends. Get the word out, so we can get as many veterans on Capitol Hill as possible.
This is our mission. This is our moment. Join Vets for Freedom on Capitol Hill and do your part to support our fellow soldiers and Marines in
I’ll try to track media coverage through the weekend. I already have a shout out to the local Fox affiliate about coming on for an interview about the gathering in DC.
Links to this post:
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]